Keeping your firearms in a secure place is the best way to ensure optimum safety in your home. Your gun safe, like your guns themselves, also require regular attention to make sure they stay in working order. You have a lot of options when it comes to safes, but if you’re in a market for a new gun safe or a bigger safe to store your growing collection, consider Champion Safe Company. Regardless of what kind of safe you have, here we’ll have tips for keeping it in tip-top shape.
How to Safely Store Your Gun
Here are a few tips on how to safely store your gun. Remember, the more of these tips you use together, the safer you and your loved ones are. You may not feel it is necessary to follow all of these tips, but a few of them together will guarantee extra layers of protection. If you have younger children in your home, show them where the guns are kept and show them how you keep the guns safe. It is when something is considered forbidden or entirely off-limits when a child will be the most interested. Let them see how you are making their safety a top priority, and encourage them, if they become interested in shooting, that they follow similar practices.
- This is a simple one, but if you keep your gun in a safe, keep the safe locked. Otherwise, you might as well be leaving them out in the open!
- Keep it unloaded. No one can get hurt if there isn’t any ammunition in the gun.
- Even if your gun is in a safe, always have the second measure of a trigger-lock. The gun’s safety is not enough. Make sure to keep the keys to the trigger-locks somewhere other than the safe, like on your keychain or in another part of the house.
How to Properly Maintain Your Gun Safe
A gun safe is no different than any other kind of appliance in your house — if you want something to continue functioning its best, it takes regular care. Here are some tips for keeping it doing its job.
- Have it regularly serviced. A quick search online and you can find a certified technician in your town who can make sure your safe’s is staying in good shape. We recommend you have your safe’s lock looked at once a year or every-other year. If you have a Champion safe, we recommend you taking a look at our Premium Lifetime Warranty if you ever do happen to have an issue.
- Keep it clean. Like your TV, kitchen counter, or even your truck, your gun safe also needs regular cleaning. Dust can settle in important parts and begin to make the locking mechanisms sticky. After vacuuming out the interior and cleaning the bolts with a soft towel and water, we recommend applying oil to keep them moving smoothly.
- The exterior also should be cleaned often. Champion safes are easy to maintain. Regardless of what color or finish you have, a quick wipe down is all they need and you’re good to go. We do recommend, however, not using any sort of polish on the handles. This can cause unsightly damage to the metal. Keep it simple and looking its best at the same time with a soft towel and water.
Champion Safe Keeps You Safe
As a gun owner, safety is essential, and nobody knows gun safety like Champion. We provide more security for a dollar than any other brand and with our strong safe bodies, we proudly have 100% continuous MIG welds and steel reinforced door casements on all our models. Champion provides more door steel than its competitors – stronger. If you want to take a look at all of the safes we offer, visit us at championsafe.com or take a look the wide selection in our catalog. If you have any questions about any of our products, we’d love to hear from you. Contact us here with your question or concern or give us a call: 801-377-7199.
Champion Safe Company. Safeguard your family and valuables with the industry’s finest gun safe available.